After much prayer and reflection, we have accepted the opportunity and challenge to join the faculty at Columbia International University in Columbia, SC and we will relocate there this summer in preparation for the Fall 2012 semester. I am looking forward to serving alongside one of my mentors, continuing to teach intercultural and historical studies, serving as research faculty in the Zwemer Center for Muslim Studies, and joining a school that has a remarkable history of training and sending intercultural laborers into the world for the glory of God.
As we have prayed about it as a family, we believe this to be God's leading and are convinced that this is a good fit for all of the Smithers.
That said, we are so thankful for the last six years that we've spent in Lynchburg and that I have served at Liberty University and Seminary. I will deeply miss my co-workers and the students that I have served.
As we make this transition, these are our main prayer requests:
1. That the kids finish well at school and have good closure with friends.
2. That we transition well as a family to a new community, friends, school, church, etc. in Columbia.
3. That we sell our home quickly here in Forest.
4. That I transition well at Liberty and pass the baton well to those who will carry on my responsibilities here.
5. That I have a good transition to the CIU faculty team.